It might seem tricky to fit in all the attractions, historical sites, and fun activities off the beach into an Outer Banks vacation, and still have plenty of time left over to just lounge on the sand. That said, there are a number of attractions up and down the North Carolina coastline that any new visitor would be remiss to miss.
There are nearly 20 hotels and motels in Kill Devil Hills, which range from classic one-story beach motor lodges to national high-rise chains.
As such, visitors will have plenty of options when choosing their accommodations, and will quickly find that a little planning and research will go a long way to securing the perfect vacation destination.
Kill Devil Hills Hotel and Motel Locations
With few exceptions, the majority of Kill Devil Hills' hotels and motels are located either directly on or adjacent to the oceanfront, and are found in a cluster along the Beach Road (NC Highway 12) across from the Wright Brothers National Monument.
These hotels and motels are located close to the beach, certainly, but they are also close to one of the largest commercial areas in town.
The Bypass-bordering region of this section of Kill Devil Hills and the northern borders of Nags Head is known locally as "French Fry Alley," and it's home to a large concentration of restaurants, fast food chains, beach stores like Wings, Reef and Coastal Blue, and arcades, mini golf courses, or other activities.
The Beach Road hotels and motels are often close enough to be within walking distance of local eateries and shops, but also far enough away to be protected from the street noise and traffic.
Types of Kill Devil Hills Motels and Hotels
One could argue that the hotel accommodations in Kill Devi Hills falls into two categories - national chains that often have multiple stories, and 1-2 story locally owned beach motels or resorts. Vacationers will find ample options in both categories, for plenty of diverse accommodation choices
A sample of the accommodation options in Kill Devil Hills and neighboring Nags Head, which are on or within walking distance of the beach, include the following:
Chain Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
- BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
- Comfort Inn On The Ocean
- Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
- Days Inn & Suites Mariner
- Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront
- Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
- Travelodge Nags Head Beach Hotel/Outer Banks
Locally Run Motels and Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
- Cavalier Motel
- Driftin' Sands Motel
- Ebb Tide Motel
- Golden Strand By Evrentals
- John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
- Outer Banks Beach Club
- Outer Banks Inn
- Outer Banks Motor Lodge
- Sea Ranch Resort
- Shutters on the Banks
Amenities at Kill Devil Hills Hotels
Because of the resort-style atmosphere of this beach town, the majority of Kill Devil Hills hotels have a number of amenities available for guests. These can include the following "extras."
Outdoor swimming pools - Typically open from mid or late-May through mid-September. Contact the individual hotel for dates of availability.
Indoor Swimming Pools - Open year round.
Community Hot Tubs - Typically open year round.
Oceanfront Balconies - Typically available with modest "high rise" hotels, or oceanfront hotels with more than three stories.
Proximity to the Beach - The hotels in Kill Devil Hills along the Beach Road are steps away from the ocean, and have a community boardwalk or walking path so guests can reach the shore with ease. NOTE: Because the town beaches in Kill Devil Hills are public, resort or hotel guests do not have private use of the beach in front of their accommodations.
Proximity to Restaurants - In addition to the fast food eateries along "French Fry Alley," many Kill Devil Hills hotels and motels are within walking distance of popular and famed local restaurants on the Beach Road, like Port ?O Call, Jolly Rodger, Red Drum Tap House, and the Kill Devil Grill.
Beach Rentals and Concierge Services - Ask your hotel or motel of any beach gear they have available for rent, (like chairs and umbrellas), or any special services or area discounts for guests, such as recommended taxi services, or coupons to local restaurants and activities.
Booking a Kill Devil Hills Hotel or Motel
The process for booking a Kill Devil Hills motel or hotel is fairly typical of any hotel accommodations, but guests should nevertheless keep the following considerations in mind.
- Book early for summer stays and holiday weekends. Reservations fill up quickly in June, July and August, as well as Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends. Book at least 3 months in advance to ensure availability.
- Rates are higher in the summer, and lower in the winter. Because the Outer Banks is primarily a summertime destination, rates can drop anywhere from 20%-50% in the winter months, after the summer season is over. Some smaller area motels do close for a couple months in the winter, so call ahead for availability.
- Booking online is usually easy and convenient. The OBX may be located almost off the map, but most all of the local motels and hotels in Kill Devil Hills have online booking engines allowing guests to quickly reserve a room online within minutes.
- Ask about discounts. Many hotels and motels offer discounts for AAA members, seniors, active or retired military, and other special groups. Ask ahead to see if if any discounts apply.
- Consider a vacation rental for a long stay, or for a large group. Kill Devil Hills hotels and motels are convenient for families as they are typically closer to more restaurants and shops than any other Outer Banks region. That being said, larger families who are planning to stay for a week or more may want to research vacation rentals as well - the most popular form of accommodations throughout the Outer Banks.